Over $35,000 in prizes | New program launched to encourage juniors to enter
The National Celebrations Commission invites musicians, performing artists and songwriters to submit their songs for the National Song Competition 2016. The competition, created to provide professional and amateur musicians with the opportunity to create and showcase original pieces, promotes artistic expression, national pride and Belize’s diverse culture.
· DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: FRIDAY, JULY 22ND AT 5:00PM
· FINALS: SATURDAY, AUGUST 13TH AT THE MEMORIAL PARK, BELIZE CITY AT 7:30PM
Who is eligible to enter?
The competition is open to all Belizeans both juniors and seniors.
Senior Division (ages 18 and older)
1st Place - $10,000 and a trophy (this includes a music video and an opportunity to represent Belize in the Region)
2nd Place - $3,000 and a trophy
Junior Division (ages 17 and under)
1st Place - $4,500and a trophy (this includes a music video)
2nd Place - $1,000 and a trophy
New this year!The National Celebrations Commission will include a Youth Music Development Program for 2016. It will feature vocal training, song writing assistance and production development for the Junior Section of the National Song Competition.
Groups of persons or individuals may enter but will be treated as one entity.
1. A Belize Song Competition which should be an original song reflecting a strong Belizean identity, flavor and rhythm and should inspire a sense of national pride and unity. It should evoke a blessing or celebrate the history, traditions and diversity of the Belizean Culture.
2. The Carnival Song Competition should be an original song which will be used for celebratory purposes during the September Celebrations and throughout the year.
Entries will be judged based on: Audience Appeal, Musical Arrangement, Vocal Quality, Lyrical Content and Stage Performance.
We will also award the following:
- People’s Choice for the most popular song (based on votes from the public)
- Breakout Artist of the Year
How to enter
Songwriters and performing artists are invited to register for the competition by submitting online or downloading the registration form at www.mynationalsong.bz; contacting their House of Culture Coordinators; or, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Entrants call also call 227-2110/2458 at the Bliss Centre for more information.
The National Song Competition is coordinated by the National Institute of Culture and History (NICH Belize), and the National Celebrations Commission.